PRESS RELEASE:

(3BL Media / theCSRfeed) New York, NY – February 15, 2012 – Students from 25 leading business schools will compete next month for recognition and $40,000 in prize money by exploring the significant and positive influence that well- managed business can have on society. Through the analysis of a new business case study authored by the Yale School of Management, the Aspen Institute’s 2012 Business & Society International MBA Case Competition inspires future business leaders to innovate at the intersection of corporate profitability and positive environmental and social impact.

“This unique case competition inspires students at 25 forward thinking MBA programs to tackle real-life business challenges directly related to serious societal issues,” said Nancy McGaw, Director of the Aspen Institute’s Center for Business Education. “Each year, we are encouraged by the creativity and intellectual rigor that this next generation of business leadership brings to today’s most pressing problems.”

[long_ad_right]Students will have 72 hours to analyze and respond to a new business and society-focused case study. On- campus competitions will determine first place campus winners, whose work will be reviewed by academic judges to determine five finalist teams. Finalists will be flown to New York City, where they will present to a panel of corporate judges and join an invitation-only reception hosted by the Aspen Institute. All finalist teams will receive prize money, with the first place team receiving $20,000 and $1,000 to donate to a charity of their choice.

The 25 participating schools for the 2012 competition are:

• Audencia Nantes, School of Management (France)
  • Baruch – CUNY, Zicklin School of Business
  • Bentley University, McCallum Graduate School of Business
  • Case Western Reserve University, The Weatherhead School of Management
  • Claremont Graduate University, Peter F. Drucker & Masatoshi Ito Graduate School of Management
  • Curtin University, Curtin Graduate School of Business (Australia)
  • Dalhousie University, School of Business Administration (Canada)
  • Duquesne University, Donahue Graduate School of Business
  • ESADE Business School (Spain)
  • Griffith Business School (Australia)
  • IE Business School (Spain)
  • Instituto de Estudios Superiores de Administración – IESA (Venezuela)
  • Lamar University, College of Business
  • New York University, Leonard N. Stern School of Business
  • Temple University, Fox School of Business
  • Texas Christian University, Neeley School of Business
  • University of Alberta, Alberta School of Business (Canada)
  • University of Denver, Daniels College of Business
  • University of Jyväskylä, School of Business and Economics (Finland)
  • University of Massachusetts Amherst, Isenberg School of Management
  • University of Notre Dame, Mendoza College of Business
  • University of Wyoming, College of Business
  • Villanova University, Villanova School of Business
  • Wilfrid Laurier University, School of Business and Economics (Canada)
  • York University, Schulich School of Business (Canada)

Corporate sponsors and judges for the 2012 competition will be announced shortly. Judges in 2011 included senior representatives from NBCUniversal, Levi Strauss & Co., Deutsche Bank, Pearson Foundation, Humana, and Bertelsmann, as well as faculty representatives from Yale’s School of Management and the College of Management at the University of Massachusetts Boston.

Last year’s competition introduced a new case study produced by the Yale School of Management that asked students to take on the role of consultants advising Trina Solar, a China-based company, on expanding its presence responsibly within the United States. Inspection copies of the case study are available to registered faculty members of CasePlace.org, here.

Learn more about the 2012 Business & Society International MBA Case Competition by visiting the Competition’s official website: www.AspenCaseCompetition.org.

The Aspen Institute Center for Business Education (Aspen CBE) equips business leaders for the 21st century with the vision and knowledge to integrate corporate profitability and social value. We help business educators incorporate issues of social and environmental stewardship into teaching and research by offering targeted resources, networks, and a platform to share cutting-edge practice among peers.

As part of the Aspen Institute Business and Society Program, Aspen CBE maintains close ties with over 150 MBA programs in 28 countries. Through dialogue and path-breaking research, the Program creates opportunity for executives and educators to explore new pathways to sustainability and values-based leadership

The Aspen Institute mission is twofold: to foster values-based leadership, encouraging individuals to reflect on the ideals and ideas that define a good society, and to provide a neutral and balanced venue for discussing and acting on critical issues. The Aspen Institute does this primarily in four ways: seminars, young-leader fellowships around the globe, policy programs and public conferences and events. The Institute is based in Washington, DC, Aspen, Colorado, and on the Wye River on Maryland’s Eastern Shore and has an international network of partners.

Tweet me: The Aspen Institute Announces 2012 #Business & Society Competition for #MBA Students http://3bl.me/xg2b3h @AspenCaseComp

CONTACT INFO:

Laurie Ginsberg, Senior Program Manager
The Aspen Institute
Laurie.Ginsberg@aspeninstitute.org
(212) 895-8093