Here are the 2012 ranking of companies in the Dow Jones Sustainability Index (DJSI) as announced by Sustainability Asset Management (SAM). SAM is an investment boutique focused exclusively on Sustainability Investing, and S&P Dow Jones Indices. The Dow Jones Sustainability Index (DJSI) manages about $6 billion in assets through a variety of financial products.
As reviewed in a September 13 press release, almost 10 percent more companies participated this year as compared to last year, which Guido Giese, Head of Indexes, SAM interprets as “a strong signal of the increasing recognition that integrating sustainability into corporate strategies is essential to the bottom line.”
Some heavy hitting new additions to the DJSI World include Microsoft Corp, Canadian National Railway Co, and Target Corp. Some of the biggest companies to be deleted from the DJSI include International Business Machines Corp, GlaxoSmithKline PLC, and United Technologies Corp.
SAM invites the world’s 2,500 largest companies (by free-float market capitalization) from the 58 sectors to report annually on their sustainability performance. This data forms the basis of a report which involves an analysis of economic, environmental and social criteria, such as corporate governance, water-related risks and stakeholder relations, with a special focus on industry-specific risks and opportunities.
Here are the Supersector Leaders in each of the 19 supersectors for the 2012-2013 (listed alphabetically by supersector).
Supersector Leaders (2012 – 2013)
- Bayerische Motoren Werke AG Automobiles & Parts
- Australia & New Zealand Banking Group Ltd Banks
- UPM-Kymmene OYJ Basic Resources
- Akzo Nobel NV Chemicals
- GS Engineering & Construction Corp Construction & Materials
- Itausa – Investimentos Itau SA Financial Services
- Unilever NV Food & Beverage
- Roche Holding AG Healthcare
- Siemens AG Industrial Goods & Services
- Swiss Re AG Insurance
- Telenet Group Holding NV Media
- Repsol SA Oil & Gas
- Koninklijke Philips Electronics NV Personal & Household Goods
- GPT Group Real Estate
- Lotte Shopping Co Ltd Retail
- Alcatel-Lucent SA Technology
- KT Corp Telecommunications
- Air France-KLM Travel & Leisure
- Iberdrola SA Utilities